Billingsgate Roman Bath and House - London, UK
According to archaeological records provided by the Museum of London, the Billingsgate Roman Bath and House was built in the late 2nd century AD. The high-quality construction may have been a luxury waterfront house or possibly an inn for travelers and merchants. The buildings were in use until the early 5th century AD, when Londinium was abandoned and Britain ceased to be part of the Roman Empire.
The site was discovered in 1848 during the building of a new coal exchange. Today, the remains are a rare example of a Roman building left in situ within the City of London. It is the only Roman bath house that is currently visible to the public - yet viewings are limited to only a handful of days per year.
In 2011, a group of conservation students from University College London (UCL) assisted in the conservation of the neglected site by removing heavily accumulated salt and other contaminants and replacing it with sand. In 2012, a group of 14 UCL students in Applied Heritage Management continued this work and co-wrote the site's first management plan.
Three groups were created to focus on the following main areas:
2) Education and Outreach
3) Interpretation and Access